Safety improvements planned for US 183 near Liberty Hill
Williamson County has been conducting a safety study on US 183 from SH 29 north to the Williamson County line, also called Corridor F, due to recent vehicle crashes and feedback received from the public. The safety study identified short-term to medium-term safety enhancements in the corridor.
The results of the study showed an immediate need in the area, and the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is moving forward with more than $12 million in safety projects, including:
– Placing flashing beacons at the US 183 at CR 258 and SH 138 intersections. Projected to be completed late 2018.
– Resurfacing US 183 from SH 29 to county line. This project will be under construction in 2019.
The state will also add turn lanes and shoulders on:
– US 183 between Live Oak Trail and CR 212 at the Saratoga Springs Neighborhood. This project will be under construction in 2020.
– US 183 between RR 1869 and Cole Drive. This project will be under construction in 2022.
– US 183 From RR 1869 to 2500 feet north of CR 258. This project is anticipated to be under construction in 2023.
– US 183 From SH 138 to CR 254. This project is anticipated to be under construction in 2023.
TxDOT also has requested $6 million in funding from the Highway Safety Improvement Program to add turn lanes and shoulders to US 183 from CR 254 to Cole Drive. TxDOT will find out if this project is selected in December 2018. If selected, the project is anticipated to be under construction in 2021. If not selected, enhancements to the projects mentioned above may be revised.
In addition to the TxDOT improvements underway, Williamson County requested the Mobility Authority to consider extending their current US 183 Phase 3 project to construct the ultimate configuration through the CR 258 intersection. CTRMA has received the full go ahead to develop the project from TxDOT. The proposed main lanes will go north from Hero Way to north of the County’s Seward Junction Loop project. An open house will be held on Nov. 14, from 5 to 7:30 p.m. at the Leander VFW Post 10427, 8760 RR 2243.
With the completion of the safety study, Williamson County will continue moving forward with identifying a recommended route for the Corridor F / US 183 Corridor.
For more information on this project, go to www.wilco.org/corridorf.