December 9, 2009 – August 13, 2018

They don’t see the cape you wear but I do.

Lyndon came into my life in March of 2010. He was already 3 months old. We bonded immediately. I could already tell that he was going to be the best dog that I would ever know. I won’t say own because you don’t own your friends.

LBJ, as I often called him, made my life better in so many ways. Where I went, he went. We moved countless times and went through many breakups. He made all the stress of moving to a new place and starting a new job melt away. Lyndon was there for all the tears that came with breakups. We had lots of laughs and good times as well. When we lived in apartments, we always lived on the top floor. Lyndon didn’t take the stairs like most dogs. He walked down the stairs on his front two feet. Everyone loved watching him. I don’t know many chihuahuas that play fetch or that like to go fishing, but this one did. He loved going to the pet store and picking out a new toy. He was so smart I swear he could count. Lyndon would take his toys, line them up in a row, and put his nose on each one.

I’ve often heard that chihuahuas are a one person dog. Lyndon was the exception. He loved my grandpa just as much as me if not more. My grandpa has Parkinson’s Disease. This causes his hands to shake quite a bit. My grandma had gotten my grandpa a chihuahua around the time that I had gotten Lyndon. He quickly became more my grandma’s dog because he didn’t like when my grandpa would pick him up. The shaking scared him. Lyndon didn’t seem to notice. He loved when we would visit my grandparents. He would go straight to my grandpa and stay in his lap until it was time to leave. They were two peas in a pod.

Fast forward a few years. I’m married and expecting my first child and on the move again. I came to the hard conclusion that my season with Lyndon was over. This was not an easy decision. Lyndon had fulfilled his purpose with me, and it was time for his next purpose. I took Lyndon to my grandparents’ house. I kissed him goodbye and promised to visit.

Lyndon took on his new purpose without missing a beat. Where my grandpa went he went. He seldom would leave his lap. Only to eat, play with his toys, and to go outside would the two be seen separately. The way my grandma tells it, Lyndon is a hero. My grandpa also has Diabetes. On several occasions my grandpa’s blood sugar has dropped dangerously low. Each time this would happen, Lyndon would jump down and find my grandma. He would not leave her alone until she would come investigate. If she was sleeping, he would jump on her head and bark at her until she would go check on my grandpa.

Lyndon didn’t wear a cape, but he should have. He was our friend and our hero. Lyndon passed away in my grandma’s arms August 13th at 2:00 in the morning. He will be greatly missed.