Fellowship Church’s mission field reaches beyond Liberty Hill

By SHELLY WILKISON More than 50 people donated blood April 19 as part Fellowship Church’s annual Easter blood drive. “Jesus shed his blood for us. The least we can do is share our blood with others,” said Pastor Michael Wright. Wright said the annual blood drive with the Blood and Tissue Center of Central Texas  […]

Hernandez is National Super Chef Semi-finalist

By Dana Delgado The seemingly long wait for Noelia Hernandez ended last Thursday in an emotional surprise announcement at Liberty Hill Intermediate School. Before a gym filled with students and staff, Miss Hernandez was named as a regional finalist in the Future Chef Contest sponsored by Sodexo, the food service management company that oversees the […]

Liberty Hill unites to show ‘grace for Mace’

By SHELLY WILKISON More than 500 people filled seats at Liberty Hill High School Auditorium April 18 and donated generously to support the family of senior Mason Endres, who was seriously injured by an intoxicated driver during SXSW in March. While the story of Miss Endres’ crippling injuries and her continued recovery has become national […]

Joseph family, newspaper offer college scholarship

The family of Troy Carl Joseph, Liberty Hill’s longtime town greeter who passed away in 2011, will continue to award an annual memorial scholarship in his name, again tying it to an essay contest open to all Liberty Hill High School seniors. In partnership with The Liberty Hill Independent, the family will award a $1,000 […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Cowan’s passing jogs memories of fire station’s beginnings

By JAMES WEAR A few days ago I learned that Clyde Cowan had passed away after a long battle with cancer. I can’t recall exactly when I met Clyde, but over the years Clyde — a painter and drywall finisher by trade — helped me out a number of times on various jobs. Clyde, husband […]

UT students choose Liberty Hill as site for short film

By Dana Delgado A fictional gruesome discovery in the woods of Liberty Hill was the backdrop last Saturday for a student film crew from the University of Texas at Austin. As a project for an advanced film production class at UT and to enhance their individual film portfolios, 15 film crew members along with three […]

Liberty Hill 4-H opens doors for students

By Dana Delgado For generations, participating in 4-H has been a rite of passage. It was just that way for Liberty Hill resident Kelly James when she was growing up in Wood County, Texas and competing in public speaking at a local 4-H Club. “It helped open avenues to leadership and helped me gain a […]

Inspired by strength of injured teen, magician set to wow Liberty Hill

By SHELLY WILKISON If he could take away the pain and suffering of a Liberty Hill teen who was mangled when an intoxicated driver rammed barricades and struck her as she stood amidst a crowd of pedestrians, CJ Johnson would say the magic words. Johnson, a Liberty Hill magician who has built a 20-year career […]

Cultural trips abroad enrich high school learning experience

By Dana Delgado Suddenly, the world shrank and looked a lot different. A trip abroad changed many things but affirmed others. For a select group of Liberty Hill High School students on a school-organized cultural trip, international travel has been a trip of a lifetime and for many, the beginning of something wonderful. Last year, […]

Recalling the night Johnny Bush & the Bandeleros rode into town

By JAMES WEAR Nearly 24 years have passed, but I still remember the evening country music singer Johnny Bush came to Liberty Hill. It was April 28, 1990, and by the time Bush and his band, the Bandeleros, took the stage at the VFW Post Home, I was one tired fellow. It had been a […]