Capstone Baptist looking to ‘do church’ in a healthy, simple way

By SHELLY WILKISON Liberty Hill’s new Capstone Baptist Church is working to “do church” in a healthy, simple way. “We’re seeking balances between a faithful purpose with God and what He wants us to do, and how we can impact the well-being of the community,” said Pastor Colin McGahey. Capstone Baptist Church, which meets Sundays […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Liberty Hill has long been a popular live music venue

By JAMES WEAR Ask just about anybody that’s been in the Liberty Hill area for the past 30 or so years what they miss most…and there’s a good chance they’ll tell you they miss the street dances. Often held to raise money for the volunteer fire department, the dances drew huge crowds and, depending on […]

Passion for art sparked Bergmann’s teaching career

By Dana Delgado From an early age, art made Donna Bergmann’s world go round. It was a wonderfully imaginative world-within-a-world for this west Texas native growing up in dusty Eden near San Angelo where creativity was always the order of the day. She would make her own paper dolls and clothes and every color was […]

Idea sparks honor for JH history teacher

By Dana Delgado In an effort to connect students and history, teacher Melissa McWherter struck upon an idea a few years ago that has proven not only highly successful but impactful. So impactful, McWherter has been named the VFW Teacher of the Year for District 28 for her efforts after being recognized locally and is […]

Teacher’s compassion spurs support from student

By SHELLY WILKISON “It isn’t often that you meet people with such a golden heart.” That’s how one Liberty Hill High School student describes chemistry teacher and Student Council advisor Bonnie Dortch. “Her ability to connect with students and understand their needs is truly inspiring,” said junior Jordan Marsh. Marsh opened the door to Dortch’s […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Life on the sidelines

By JAMES WEAR Other than playing in a game against Liberty Hill in 1971 when I was a junior high student at Florence, and years later, in the fall of 1978, when I attended a contest between Liberty Hill and Lometa to watch my niece perform at halftime, I never followed Liberty Hill football until […]

At age 86, Hollis Baker comes of age

By Dana Delgado Homer Baker was quite the role model for his naïve but rather inquisitive and attentive son, Hollis, a typical country boy reared in the heart of Burnet County. The elder Baker, in a what-in-the-world was he thinking move, pinned his hopes on a small grocery store that he dared to open as […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Recalling the Gabriel Mills bridge dedication

By JAMES WEAR Back in December of 1987, I was among those to attend the dedication of a new bridge crossing the North San Gabriel River at Gabriel Mills, a small community located on CR 236. Among those attending the event were Harold Asher, a widely-known educator who also earned acclaim for his historical research; […]

Newspaper sales benefit Liberty Hill Band Boosters

The Liberty Hill Band Boosters benefitted from a fundraiser sponsored by The Liberty Hill Independent this fall. Band students from Liberty Hill High School, Liberty Hill Junior High and Liberty Hill Intermediate School sold subscriptions to the hometown newspaper and the Band Boosters earned half of every subscription sold. Newspaper co-owner Charley Wilkison (center) […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Market Days were a winner for Liberty Hill

By JAMES WEAR It’s been many years, but a lot of folks remember Liberty Hill Market Days. Held the first Saturday of each month at Veterans Park downtown, Market Days brought droves of folks to the community as they would browse through the various booths that lined the back of the VFW property. Vendors offered […]