THROWBACK THURSDAY: Myers spread love throughout Liberty Hill

Gloria Myers, seated left, and husband Jim (standing at left) posed with two of their children (standing from left--Sydna and James and James’ wife Tonya) during a visit from Gloria’s mother back in the mid-1990’s. Gloria and Jim were leading supporters of the Liberty Hill ISD band program and other community causes. Gloria was once honored by the Liberty Hill Masonic Lodge, which presented her with the Community Builder Award, the highest honor the Masons bestow on non-members. (Courtesy Photo)

By JAMES WEAR Of all the folks I’ve met during my years in Liberty Hill, perhaps none impressed me more than Gloria Myers and her husband Jim. Gloria operated a tiny flower shop downtown next door to the cafe, and from there she, in her own special and unique way, touched many lives. She reminded […]

STAFF NOTEBOOK: A plea to help Liberty Hill’s longtime public servant

Charles Canady has made a lasting contribution to the city of Liberty Hill  and now needs the community’s help as his family struggles to cope with medical expenses from years of cancer treatment. (Kathy Canady Photo)

By CHARLEY WILKISON Co-owner of The Independent  One of the first people we met in Liberty Hill 15 years ago was Charles Canady. He leaned in under the hood of my 1960 Chevy pickup listening to it run, took a screwdriver out of the pocket of his blue overalls and followed my finger to the […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Old newspapers provide interesting tidbits about Liberty Hill’s yesteryears

J.D. Cox, far left, looks on as then-First Lady of Texas Rita Clements prepares to snip the ribbon at dedication ceremonies of the Liberty Hill International Sculpture Park in the mid-1980s. Cox had been serving as high school principal when he was tabbed to replace retiring school superintendent Bill Burden in 1982. 
(James Wear Photo)

By JAMES WEAR A couple of weeks ago I noted that one way to learn about Liberty Hill’s past is to have coffee with oldtimers. Another, if you’re lucky enough to come across old newspapers, is to simply read through them and review the contents. Some time ago I came across a stack of The […]

Life-changing trip prompts church softball tourney

A mission trip to the Philippines by a delegation from Union Hall Baptist Church has prompted them to organize support for an orphanage that helps children rescued from poverty, abuse and abandonment. A benefit co-ed softball tournament is scheduled for July 26. Gathering with a group of school children from the orphanage are from left, Christopher Cox, Zach Hamilton, Keith Hamilton, Pastor Robert Butts and David Hess. (Courtesy Photo)

By Dana Delgado A life-changing mission trip to the Philippines recently has prompted Union Hall Baptist Church of Liberty Hill to action. Children destined for poverty, abandonment and abuse are at stake, explained Pastor Robert Butts. There was no turning away. “The mission trip was life-changing,” said Pastor Butts. “It really was, but it impacted […]

Cyclist in near-fatal crash begins recovery

Sam Mills holds the helmet that spared him from head injries in a near-fatal crash April 25. (Dana Delgado Photo)

By Dana Delgado It’s been just over six weeks since Samuel (Sam) Mills’ routine ride home from his Austin job ended with an unnerving almost deadly crash in Leander. “Our family and friends from Liberty Hill, to the Gulf Coast, to Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Hawaii were all praying for him and our prayers were […]

Courage camps offer children choices to be active this summer

IMG_3814-small

Liberty Hill schools will dismiss for summer on June 5 and parents looking for opportunities to keep their children active and healthy might consider camps at Courage Cheer and Dance. The premier cheerleading and dance company, which moved into a new gym facility on Jonathan Drive some months ago, offers a variety of camps for […]

Senior nutrition program serves Liberty Hill elderly, homebound

Meals on Wheels delivery driver Denise Schilli has found a misplaced hearing aid belonging to Helen Whitted, 93. (Courtesy Photo)

By BRAD STUTZMAN Contributor to The Independent Denise Schilli pulls her Meals on Wheels van into Helen Whitted’s driveway, delivering a hot lunch to the Liberty Hill woman who lives in a small cottage on family property. It’s late morning and Ms. Schilli is about halfway through her route, which began at the Bagdad Senior […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Notes reveal support for school

By JAMES WEAR Columnist for The Independent Over the years I’ve found myself often saving little scraps of paper on which I’ve written notes–some to myself as I pondered the meaning of life, others the beginnings of letters to friends or relatives that I never mailed. All of these, I believe, will someday (after I’ve […]

Homecoming at Liberty Hill Cemetery is June 1

The officers and directors of the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association invite the commnity to the 62nd Annual Homecoming on June 1 to be held in the park area of the cemetery. The annual homecoming event provides an opportunity for families to get together and enjoy a meal and good company. Many families hold reunions in […]

‘Poppa Troy’ Joseph was among Liberty Hill’s memorable citizens

The late Troy Joseph was a devoted Panther fan, attending most home football games. He is pictured here with his great-granddaughter, Moxie Henry. (Courtesy Photo)

By JAMES WEAR I still can’t drive down Loop 332 in Liberty Hill without looking over and expecting a wave from the man who, in the 30 years I knew him, perhaps represented Liberty Hill as well as anyone. Troy Joseph has been gone nearly three years now, passing away in July 2011 only a […]