New beginnings for Fieldcamp, LH United Methodist Church

By Dana Delgado It’s another new beginning for Steve Fieldcamp who has had a life filled with new beginnings. Two weeks ago, Liberty Hill United Methodist Church (LHUMC), one of the area’s pioneer churches, welcomed him as their new pastor after being presented to church members in April. “New beginnings are always exciting,” he said. […]

Hernandez loses leg, but won’t be defeated by diabetes

By SHELLY WILKISON Twenty years ago, he learned that he had diabetes. Immediately, doctors prescribed pills and insulin and Izzy Hernandez believed the medications were keeping the disease under control. As the years passed, most days he felt fine. Then last summer on a family vacation to El Paso, he noticed a blister on the […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Myers spread love throughout Liberty Hill

By JAMES WEAR Of all the folks I’ve met during my years in Liberty Hill, perhaps none impressed me more than Gloria Myers and her husband Jim. Gloria operated a tiny flower shop downtown next door to the cafe, and from there she, in her own special and unique way, touched many lives. She reminded […]

STAFF NOTEBOOK: A plea to help Liberty Hill’s longtime public servant

By CHARLEY WILKISON Co-owner of The Independent  One of the first people we met in Liberty Hill 15 years ago was Charles Canady. He leaned in under the hood of my 1960 Chevy pickup listening to it run, took a screwdriver out of the pocket of his blue overalls and followed my finger to the […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Old newspapers provide interesting tidbits about Liberty Hill’s yesteryears

By JAMES WEAR A couple of weeks ago I noted that one way to learn about Liberty Hill’s past is to have coffee with oldtimers. Another, if you’re lucky enough to come across old newspapers, is to simply read through them and review the contents. Some time ago I came across a stack of The […]

Life-changing trip prompts church softball tourney

By Dana Delgado A life-changing mission trip to the Philippines recently has prompted Union Hall Baptist Church of Liberty Hill to action. Children destined for poverty, abandonment and abuse are at stake, explained Pastor Robert Butts. There was no turning away. “The mission trip was life-changing,” said Pastor Butts. “It really was, but it impacted […]

Cyclist in near-fatal crash begins recovery

By Dana Delgado It’s been just over six weeks since Samuel (Sam) Mills’ routine ride home from his Austin job ended with an unnerving almost deadly crash in Leander. “Our family and friends from Liberty Hill, to the Gulf Coast, to Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Hawaii were all praying for him and our prayers were […]

Courage camps offer children choices to be active this summer

Liberty Hill schools will dismiss for summer on June 5 and parents looking for opportunities to keep their children active and healthy might consider camps at Courage Cheer and Dance. The premier cheerleading and dance company, which moved into a new gym facility on Jonathan Drive some months ago, offers a variety of camps for […]

Senior nutrition program serves Liberty Hill elderly, homebound

By BRAD STUTZMAN Contributor to The Independent Denise Schilli pulls her Meals on Wheels van into Helen Whitted’s driveway, delivering a hot lunch to the Liberty Hill woman who lives in a small cottage on family property. It’s late morning and Ms. Schilli is about halfway through her route, which began at the Bagdad Senior […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Notes reveal support for school

By JAMES WEAR Columnist for The Independent Over the years I’ve found myself often saving little scraps of paper on which I’ve written notes–some to myself as I pondered the meaning of life, others the beginnings of letters to friends or relatives that I never mailed. All of these, I believe, will someday (after I’ve […]