Senior nutrition program serves Liberty Hill elderly, homebound

By BRAD STUTZMAN Contributor to The Independent Denise Schilli pulls her Meals on Wheels van into Helen Whitted’s driveway, delivering a hot lunch to the Liberty Hill woman who lives in a small cottage on family property. It’s late morning and Ms. Schilli is about halfway through her route, which began at the Bagdad Senior […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Notes reveal support for school

By JAMES WEAR Columnist for The Independent Over the years I’ve found myself often saving little scraps of paper on which I’ve written notes–some to myself as I pondered the meaning of life, others the beginnings of letters to friends or relatives that I never mailed. All of these, I believe, will someday (after I’ve […]

Homecoming at Liberty Hill Cemetery is June 1

The officers and directors of the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association invite the commnity to the 62nd Annual Homecoming on June 1 to be held in the park area of the cemetery. The annual homecoming event provides an opportunity for families to get together and enjoy a meal and good company. Many families hold reunions in […]

‘Poppa Troy’ Joseph was among Liberty Hill’s memorable citizens

By JAMES WEAR I still can’t drive down Loop 332 in Liberty Hill without looking over and expecting a wave from the man who, in the 30 years I knew him, perhaps represented Liberty Hill as well as anyone. Troy Joseph has been gone nearly three years now, passing away in July 2011 only a […]

Liberty Hill native earns posthumous Cowboy award

By Brenda Young  Born on a ranch in Liberty Hill in 1925, Roy Lee “Preacher” Turner will be one of four nominees inducted into the Liberty Hill Cowboy Hall of Fame May 9 as part of the three-day Liberty Hill Pro Rodeo hosted by the Williamson County Cowboy Church.  As a cutting horse trainer by […]

Cowboy events ‘just a way of life’ for Mather

By Brenda Young An informal gathering of friends with common interests many years ago in the Liberty Hill Roping Club set the stage for a lifelong love of individual and team roping events for James Mather. On May 9, he will see the fruits of his labor with his induction into the Liberty Hill Cowboy […]

Career with kids, horses leads rancher to Cowboy Hall of Fame

By Brenda Young With a lifetime devoted to a career in juvenile law enforcement and a love of ranching, Steve Robinson said he is very pleased to be honored as one of four inductees into this year’s Liberty Hill Cowboy Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame began two years ago for the purpose of […]

Cowboy Hall of Fame names Mather first female inductee

By Brenda Young Carrying the torch of family tradition, Connie Sue Foust Mather recently learned she is the first female inductee into the Liberty Hill Cowboy Hall of Fame. The presentation of her award is set for Saturday, May 10 during the Liberty Hill Pro Rodeo. Connie Sue’s father, Elroy Foust, was the first recipient […]

Fellowship Church’s mission field reaches beyond Liberty Hill

By SHELLY WILKISON More than 50 people donated blood April 19 as part Fellowship Church’s annual Easter blood drive. “Jesus shed his blood for us. The least we can do is share our blood with others,” said Pastor Michael Wright. Wright said the annual blood drive with the Blood and Tissue Center of Central Texas  […]

Hernandez is National Super Chef Semi-finalist

By Dana Delgado The seemingly long wait for Noelia Hernandez ended last Thursday in an emotional surprise announcement at Liberty Hill Intermediate School. Before a gym filled with students and staff, Miss Hernandez was named as a regional finalist in the Future Chef Contest sponsored by Sodexo, the food service management company that oversees the […]