Life-changing trip prompts church softball tourney

By Dana Delgado A life-changing mission trip to the Philippines recently has prompted Union Hall Baptist Church of Liberty Hill to action. Children destined for poverty, abandonment and abuse are at stake, explained Pastor Robert Butts. There was no turning away. “The mission trip was life-changing,” said Pastor Butts. “It really was, but it impacted […]

Cyclist in near-fatal crash begins recovery

By Dana Delgado It’s been just over six weeks since Samuel (Sam) Mills’ routine ride home from his Austin job ended with an unnerving almost deadly crash in Leander. “Our family and friends from Liberty Hill, to the Gulf Coast, to Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Hawaii were all praying for him and our prayers were […]

Courage camps offer children choices to be active this summer

Liberty Hill schools will dismiss for summer on June 5 and parents looking for opportunities to keep their children active and healthy might consider camps at Courage Cheer and Dance. The premier cheerleading and dance company, which moved into a new gym facility on Jonathan Drive some months ago, offers a variety of camps for […]

Senior nutrition program serves Liberty Hill elderly, homebound

By BRAD STUTZMAN Contributor to The Independent Denise Schilli pulls her Meals on Wheels van into Helen Whitted’s driveway, delivering a hot lunch to the Liberty Hill woman who lives in a small cottage on family property. It’s late morning and Ms. Schilli is about halfway through her route, which began at the Bagdad Senior […]

THROWBACK THURSDAY: Notes reveal support for school

By JAMES WEAR Columnist for The Independent Over the years I’ve found myself often saving little scraps of paper on which I’ve written notes–some to myself as I pondered the meaning of life, others the beginnings of letters to friends or relatives that I never mailed. All of these, I believe, will someday (after I’ve […]

Homecoming at Liberty Hill Cemetery is June 1

The officers and directors of the Liberty Hill Cemetery Association invite the commnity to the 62nd Annual Homecoming on June 1 to be held in the park area of the cemetery. The annual homecoming event provides an opportunity for families to get together and enjoy a meal and good company. Many families hold reunions in […]

‘Poppa Troy’ Joseph was among Liberty Hill’s memorable citizens

By JAMES WEAR I still can’t drive down Loop 332 in Liberty Hill without looking over and expecting a wave from the man who, in the 30 years I knew him, perhaps represented Liberty Hill as well as anyone. Troy Joseph has been gone nearly three years now, passing away in July 2011 only a […]

Liberty Hill native earns posthumous Cowboy award

By Brenda Young  Born on a ranch in Liberty Hill in 1925, Roy Lee “Preacher” Turner will be one of four nominees inducted into the Liberty Hill Cowboy Hall of Fame May 9 as part of the three-day Liberty Hill Pro Rodeo hosted by the Williamson County Cowboy Church.  As a cutting horse trainer by […]

Cowboy events ‘just a way of life’ for Mather

By Brenda Young An informal gathering of friends with common interests many years ago in the Liberty Hill Roping Club set the stage for a lifelong love of individual and team roping events for James Mather. On May 9, he will see the fruits of his labor with his induction into the Liberty Hill Cowboy […]

Career with kids, horses leads rancher to Cowboy Hall of Fame

By Brenda Young With a lifetime devoted to a career in juvenile law enforcement and a love of ranching, Steve Robinson said he is very pleased to be honored as one of four inductees into this year’s Liberty Hill Cowboy Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame began two years ago for the purpose of […]